Hardap Recreation Resort
Hardap Recreation Resort is located 260 km south of Windhoek. The resort includes the largest dam of Namibia, Hardap which is on the Fish River.
The resort is dominated by the Hardap dam, fish and Groot Komatsas Rivers with open savannah and mountainous areas such as the Gemsbok plateau.
Hardap is renowned as an angler’s paradise. There are annual competitions held for enthusiasts regularly. However, the small Hardap Game Reserve is a retreat for black rhinos, giraffes, gemsboks, springboks, kudus, Hartmann’s mountain zebras and black-backed jackals.
Apart from the wildlife, it supports countless species of waterbirds, including flamingos, fish eagles, pelicans, spoonbills and Goliath herons. The dam and its surroundings houses one of Namibia’s most strategic Great White Pelican breeding colonies.
Best Time to Visit
- Hardap Recreation Resort is open for travellers all year round.
- However, the best time to visit Hardap Resort is during the dry winter months from June to September.
- You can also visit it from May to August as it has the best weather.
How to go
Hardap Recreation Resort is located close to Mariental in the Hardap region of Namibia. It is easily accessible by roadways.
- Hardap Recreation Resort is located about 24 km from the town of Mariental, which takes about 1 hour drive way to reach the resort.
Things to do
During your visit to Hardap Recreation Resort, you can do a number of activities, such as:
- Game drives
- Bird watching
What To See & Highlights
- Hardap Dam is one of the major attractions of the Hardap Recreation Resort. You can spot black rhinos, giraffes, gemsboks, springboks, kudus, Hartmann’s mountain zebras and black-backed jackals.
- Apart from the wildlife, it supports countless species of waterbirds, including flamingos, fish eagles, great white pelicans, spoonbills and Goliath herons.