Nyeri in Kenya is a small place and you can explore in a day. There are attractions and things to do. Though a small town, it is worth taking a quick stop as a break from your journey. It will ensure to be a memorable trip.
Places of attraction
Aberdare National Park
This park is a habitat for wildlife and abundant birdlife. There are leopards, elephants, buffalos, black rhinos, warthogs, colobus monkeys, spotted hyenas, bushbucks, and olive baboons. It offers game viewing, camping, bird watching, and nature walks.
This is a private ranch established for rhino conservation. In Kenya, this is the successful breeding ranches of rhino. The ranch is inhabited with other wildlife such as zebras, buffaloes, waterbucks, antelopes, giraffes, warthogs, and oryx. Visit the ranch for nature walks and viewing activities.
Baden Powell Museum
The museum acquired its name after the Boy Scout Movement Association founder, Lord Baden Powell. The museum features attires and scouting scarfs.
This museum preserves communicates and informs about the origin of the Kikuyu culture. The museum features Kikuyu traditional artifacts and live animals such as porcupines, crocodiles, and tortoise.
Italian War Memorial Catholic Church
Built by the Italian soldiers during WWII is this church presenting beautiful architectural design. It has the fallen soldiers’ names on the walls inscribed. There are a shrine and a tomb. In November an annual mass is held to commemorate the Italian fallen soldiers.
This is a national monument museum housed in 1924. It was used to deal with customary law cases, as a native law court. Now you can visit the museum and know about freedom fighters, and their tools used.
Rhino Watch Camp
The watch camp is set in 30 acres. It is enveloped by wildlife reserves providing an ideal base to view Mount Kenya and the safari game drives. There are other facilities such as watching camp for rhino, bush meals, an art gallery featuring traditional artifacts, luxury accommodation for visitors, and game walks.
Things to do
- Chaka Ranch. This is an entertainment facility and a leisure park, set on an expansive space. It offers Mount Kenya views and beautiful sceneries. It is a perfect haven boasting of a wide collection of buggies and quad bikes. It offers luxury accommodation.
- Chinga Dam and Waterfall. The waterfall is on the way to Chonga Boys. This dam is the biggest reservoir in this county, Nyeri. The dam has fishing and boat riding opportunities. Get a glimpse of the waterfall and engage in Chinga dam boat riding activities.
- Mau Mau Caves. This is a historic site used as a freedom fighter’s hideout. There are beautiful attractions such as indigenous forests and waterfalls. It is appropriate for bird watching and hiking.
How to access
There are 4 ways to reach from Nairobi to Nyeri such as by bus, car, plane or taxi
- The Drive takes 1h 55m
- Bus, drive takes 2h 39m
Best time to visit
The best time to visit is purely based on the point of view based on the climate diagram.
- The best time to visit Nyeri is from January to March
- September to October and from December to March is equally good to visit