Chobe National Park located on the northernmost part of Botswana is one of the finest game sanctuaries in Southern Africa. Spread over 11700 square kilometres of land, Chobe is the third largest and most visited national park of Botswana.
The park takes its name from the Chobe River, one of the most stunning and untouched rivers of Africa, which flows along the northern boundary of the park and outlines the boundary between Botswana and Namibia’s Caprivi Strip. The river is the heartbeat of the park and the hub of the wildlife activity.
The fertile floodplains combined with the grasslands, mopane woodland and thick scrub in the park creates a collage of habitats that together host one of the greatest concentrations of game on the afrikanisch continent.
A breath-taking diverse species of animals and birds with some unique seasonal species call this park as their home. Elephants dominate this land, and during dry winter months, you can sight around 50,000 elephants congregate at Chobe River. Apart from the famous elephants, you can easily spot lions, leopards, cheetah, wild dogs, pods of hippo, buffaloes, zebras and a range of antelope.
Chobe is also a great birding destination with over 450 species been documented within its border. You can also spot migratory birds from November to April.
Beste Zeit für einen Besuch
- Chobe National Park is open for tourists all year round.
- The ideal time to visit the national park is during the dry season, from May to October. During this period the animals stay around the river making it easy to spot a diverse variety of wildlife during a short span of time.
- However, you can also visit Chobe during the hot, humid wet season also. As these months have their own benefits which include spectacular birding, fewer tourists and cheaper accommodations.
Chobe National Park is well connected by roadways, waterways and airways.
- The easiest way to get to Chobe National Park is to book a domestic flight to Kasane Airport, which is just 6km from Chobe gate.
- You can also take boat trips from Kasane into the park.
- You can also reach from Victoria falls which is about 80 km from the park and takes around 1 hour of drive time to reach the park.
- Another popular point of entry to the country is Maun Airport which is 600km from Kasane. You can either drive from Maun or take a flight to Kasane Airport.
Dinge die zu tun sind
You can do an array of activities at Chobe National Park:
- Safaris zu Fuß
- River cruise
- Fly-in Safaris
- Vögel beobachten
Was zu sehen & Highlights
- Chobe National Park is renowned for its large elephant populations, during winter you can watch around 50,000 elephants near the Chobe River.
- Apart from its famous elephant population, Chobe hosts lions, leopards, cheetahs, wild dogs, hyenas, buffaloes, zebras, sable, roan and greater kudu at the park.
- Chobe has also a rich birdlife with over 450 species including migratory birds from November to April.