Nairobi is an edgy and hip city. It is prominent for several wrong reasons. It is buzzing with art, culture, and development. It also has incredible national parks.
Places of attraction
Nairobi National Park
The National Park is 7 Km west that it makes Nairobi the city with a game park. This Park was found in 1946 and houses a range of bird species and animals. The animals found here include leopards, lions, buffaloes, black rhinos, giraffes, zebras, hippos, wildebeests, and elands.
Giraffe Center has the rare Rothschild Giraffe and has incredible giraffes raised successfully in the center. It includes Giraffe Manor that you can have breakfast watching the giraffes. There is an education center teaching students and pupils about the conservation of wildlife.
Nairobi National Museum
Nairobi National Museum houses a large building presenting traditional art and craft items, taxidermied animals, and early man remains. It gives the visitors a chance to know about the culture, history, paleontology, and arts of Kenya. This compound has restaurants and botanical gardens. It has the craft and art zone. There are restaurants offering authentic dishes.
Nairobi Arboretum Park
Nairobi Arboretum is a 30-hectare park located 3 km from CBD, along Kilimani, the State House Road. This destination has more than 350 tree species and houses mammals and birds in small-zie. The greenery has various events and many activities are held such as concerts, weddings, corporate parties, and adventures.
The Ngong Hills overlooks the Great Rift Valley. The area is always crowded and the ills are a ridge of 8070 feet high, enveloped by green vegetation. The hills slopes offer stunning camping points, walking trails, and sightseeing scenery. Even walking is enjoyable on the beautiful trails and the cool breeze blowing.
Things to do
- Go on a Nairobi City Tour: Through the CBD, take a city tour and some important landmarks of the city such as the Savova Stanley, parliament buildings, Uhuru and KICC park.
Note: Take care of pictures as government buildings are not allowed or you have to pay heavy fines.
- Have Coffee at the Thorn Tree Cafe: At the Savova Stanley Hotel bottom, you can find the original Thorn Tree Cafe. There is an acacia tree in the café center and here travelers pin notices. Grab a slice of cake with tea and take a tour of the hotel.
- Shop at the Village Market: Nairobi has plentiful malls and in Gigiri the Village market is pretty. You get Kenyan souvenirs to designer clothes and there are cafes and restaurants in tons.
How to access
- The Nairobi airport is on the city outskirts. You can take a taxi and reach the city in 30 minutes.
- Cabs and taxis are seen commonly offering comfortable rides.
Nairobi is well connected through its rail network. Taxis, rental cars, and matatu (Buses) are the main means of transport. Metered taxis are not available. Taxis are expensive, visitors take Uber. The minibuses and matatus are good for city travel.
Best time to visit
Nairobi offers plenty of tour activities so planning properly is a must. Enjoy the dry months is helpful.
- The best time to visit is from July to October and January and February.
- July has the least rainfall and the cool, dry month is July and August.