Unguja, in the Tanzanian archipelago, is the main island. It is known as Zanzibar Island. This island presents a mix of famous spice plantations, exotic beaches, diverse culture, and history (the capital is Stone Town).
Zanzibar city has old mosques and winding lanes. Zanzibar represents to be a part of Tanzania in East Africa. The Zanzibar Archipelago is 25-50 kilometers off the coast in the Indian Ocean and has many small islands. It also comprises of two large islands, the Unguja and Pemba.
Places of attraction
Spend time in Stone Town going through the soul and heart of the island. There are old Arabic-style buildings, winding alleys and sip coffee.
Catch sun at Nungwi beach
Nungwi is to the Zanzibar’s North West tip. This beach is great to soak up some sun. it is one of the top beaches to dip your toes.
It is a boat trip for 30 minutes offering a glimpse into the dark past where slaves were detained. Today it has giant tortoise’s nature reserve.
Eat at Forodhani market
A food market opening in the late afternoon. The market is spectacular in Stone Town. The local produce and seafood options are popular. Fish with fried potato balls, samosas, and naan bread. An energetic night-time food market.
The historic building a must-see attraction. Located overlooking the ocean, the 19th century built was the Sultan’s home. Today a museum showcasing Sultan’s family relics.
The old Fort
This fort is located in front of the Forodhani Gardens. It has an old Amphitheatre hosting functions and events even today.
Things to do
There are lots in Unguja than watching the Amazing Beaches. There is a wealth of things to do:
- Steaming Jungles
- Spice plantations
- Historic heart-wrenching sites
- Abundant activities
A few things to do include:
- Go on a Flying Safari- Combine Zanzibar safari experience with beach escape. Flying safari itineraries arrange everything as extended safari adventure, offering the much-desired escape.
- Spot Red Monkeys– These are endangered colobus monkeys found in the Jozani Chwaka National Park, located at Zanzibar’s heart. A day trip to the Jozani forest can be arranged. There are wild animals, such as the rare Zanzibari Leopard and a variety of butterflies and birds.
- Spice Plantation Tour– You can find flavorful spices such as nutmeg, cinnamon, pepper, and cloves. Do not miss going on a spice tour where you can smell, taste, and touch the spices.
How to Access
The foremost thing is that Zanzibar is cheap. This island is affordable right from snacks to a hostel.
Flights are available. Look for flights to Africa, reaching Tanzania does not break your bank. Flight reaches Dar es Salaam, take a flight or ferry to Zanzibar.
Taxis are the right option for getting around the island.
Zanzibar runs shuttles to the tourist attractions. It is the cheapest way of getting around.
Best time to visit
Located on the south of the equator, Unguja enjoys a tropical climate that there are never any extreme variabilities in the temperatures.
- Visit between June to October as they are the dry, cool spring months.
- Another best time to visit is when it is dry and hot from December to February.