Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Ngorongoro Conservation Area houses the vast volcanic Ngorongoro Crater in northern Tanzania. It also houses a big 5 game namely the leopard, lion, elephant, rhino, and buffalo. There are wildebeests in huge herds and you can find during the annual migration, the zebras traverse in the plains. The Maasai tribe graze the wild animals.
Places of attractions
Tanzania is full of memorable places and within Ngorongoro:
This lake is fringed by pink long-legged flamingos. Lake Magadi is azure blue, shallow and fiercely alkaline with sodium carbonate. There are greater and lesser flamingos distinguishable by their black-tipped pink bills and dark red bills. The lake shrinks in the dry season that crystalline salt pans are licked by a hyena, jackals and other animals.
Lerai Fever Tree Forest
This tree is slim, tall yellow barked forming lace-canopied, airy, wonderland of glades. The foliage is the food of black rhinoceros. The elephants, eland, rhino, hyrax, bushbuck, and many more birds frequent here. A younger Fever-Tree is now forming at the Ngoitokitok Springs base.
Gol Mountains feature pink cliffs, and surreal wilderness, enclosing Angata Kiti Pass. At the foot of this mountain is Nasera Rock at 80 meters housing baboons, mountaineering klipspringers, and varied birds.
Salei Plains and Ol Karien Gorge
A rock-sided ravine is Ol Karien Gorge and the Salei Plains are bare. It is a Mecca for twitchers, as the griffon vulture breeds here in March and April, coinciding with the Great Migration providing plentiful food.
Things to do
The Ngorongoro Conservation Area is a marvel of ecological and natural sources. It envelops an old volcano that collapsed forming a caldera. Now it provides a variety of flora, fauna, and stunning sights. Covering 3000 miles areas there are a few things you must do on your visit to Ngorongoro Conservation Area.
- Go on the Ngorongoro Crater tour. Do not miss the Big 5s on this visit.
- See the Empakaai Crater featuring an alkaline lake in the crater center.
- Olduvai Gorge is the place that ancient human tools and fossils were discovered giving evidence of human dawn.
- Laetoli is a long trail featuring footprints of ancestors who lived before 3.7 million years. Get close to your ancestors and enjoy an incredible feel.
How to access
Going with an organized tour is the best. If you are driving, follow established tracks and roads. The all-weather main roads are reasonable in condition. Camping permission must be obtained.
- Taxi from Dodoma takes 9h 37m
- Flying takes 6h 52m
- Taxi takes 9h 37m drive
Even for going on foot, bicycle or motorbike, permission is required to enter.
Best time to Visit
The Ngorongoro Conservation Area is open for the entire year. During the rainy season, movement is restricted that is from November to May.
- The best time is from June to October. It is the dry season and you can see a variety of bird species and resident mammal.
- During rain, you can see migrant bird species and game species dropping their young.
For dry-season take a jacket and jersey, as days are mild.
- Wear sunscreen and a broad-brimmed hat throughout the year.
- Take cool and comfortable cotton clothing.
- Take spare batteries, photographic film, cleaning materials, and adequate fuel supplies.